Decent, inexpensive Upright Bass options...
coreybenson
2019-10-02 20:59:21 UTC
Hey all! I know things are pretty quiet around these here parts, but just for giggles, I thought I'd ask if anyone has thoughts about an inexpensive upright bass. Would love to spend around $500 as it's not something I think I'd ever gig out with, or at least not for a long time.

Hope you're all enjoying your fall!

Corey
benj
2019-10-02 23:36:28 UTC
Post by coreybenson
Hey all! I know things are pretty quiet around these here parts, but just for giggles, I thought I'd ask if anyone has thoughts about an inexpensive upright bass. Would love to spend around $500 as it's not something I think I'd ever gig out with, or at least not for a long time.
Hope you're all enjoying your fall!
Corey
Sort of the thoughts I've been having of getting an upright again after
all these years. Looked at three used Chinese uprights at Music-Go-Round
(used instrument chain)in that price range. Two looked pretty nice but
their tone was really nothing! The third seemed to have potential for a
nice tone, but needed some glue work around the neck. I really
considered it for a while but "ya snooze, ya Lose" and someone else
scored it while I was making up my mind. Still looking. Good news of
this experience was that they are out there if you just root around and
wait long enough.
coreybenson
2019-11-06 16:54:47 UTC
Post by benj
Post by coreybenson
[...]
And that's the key, and my dilemma. I don't have time to root around these days. Frustrating.

Instead, I picked up a GORGEOUS 2005 American Standard P-Bass with a Seymour Duncan Antiquities pickup and something called the Yellow Cap Mod that turns the tone control into a functioning, useful tool. Flatwounds... ermagerd! What a wonderful joy to play! Got myself into a new band, and had to have a new bass (ok, I didn't, but I got one anyway).

Good to see you're still here, Benj! Hope you're doing well!

Corey
benj
2019-11-06 21:05:54 UTC
Post by coreybenson
Post by benj
Post by coreybenson
[...]
Not exactly "here" (Voice echos down long empty USENET hallway) but
check in every now and then. Usually hang over in Talkbass. Moderated
but rules pretty reasonable.

I've really got plenty of bass guitars of all kinds but still like to
experiment. Currently wanting to build some lightweight cabs to go with
my new D-class amps. Got 4 new neo 10s to make two 2 x 10s that can be
stacked to make a 4 x 10. Not much progress lately.

As for uprights. I REALLY messed up under the Snooze ya lose rule! What
I really, really wanted was one of those Bulgarian uprights that Bob
Golihur used to sell in 5 string! I'm dying for a 5 string upright.
would be about the only thing that would inspire me enought to go back
to putting in practice time on upright again! But just when I'm ready
to buy, the maker decides to stop making upright basses! Grrr. I've
found a few used basses but all 4 strings. I've been looking for a used
5 string upright but you can guess how rare and expensive that is going
to be! Pretty much made upright thing crash and burn...unless I happen
on a standard upright that is excellent but an insane buy then I will
have to get it no matter...
coreybenson
2019-11-18 15:45:52 UTC
Post by benj
Not exactly "here" (Voice echos down long empty USENET hallway) but
check in every now and then. Usually hang over in Talkbass. Moderated
but rules pretty reasonable.
TalkBass is a great suggestion. I need to hang out there more often, but I hit it almost as often as I hit the Alt groups these days... so... yep.
Post by benj
As for uprights. I REALLY messed up under the Snooze ya lose rule! What
I really, really wanted was one of those Bulgarian uprights that Bob
Golihur used to sell in 5 string! I'm dying for a 5 string upright.
would be about the only thing that would inspire me enought to go back
to putting in practice time on upright again! But just when I'm ready
to buy, the maker decides to stop making upright basses! Grrr. I've
found a few used basses but all 4 strings. I've been looking for a used
5 string upright but you can guess how rare and expensive that is going
to be! Pretty much made upright thing crash and burn...unless I happen
on a standard upright that is excellent but an insane buy then I will
have to get it no matter...
Fives. Man, I just can't get my head wrapped around them after trying off and on for years. They just aren't "me." I wish... LOVE my trick P-Bass, which I strung up as a BEAD. I just can't seem to count that high. LOL

Corey
t***@gmail.com
2019-11-28 12:42:49 UTC
coreybenson
Post by benj
[...]

Weird things about 5s. Seems like I get along better with my 6s and 4s than I do with my 5s

Don’t know what it is either...