Peavey Microbass 8" or 10"?
Per@
2011-12-05 06:44:40 UTC
I read about the Microbass practice amp and bought one without trying,
but: I am diappointed, the thing is is OK, but pretty average. Mine
has a 8" speaker - has there ever been a 10" version that gave the
Microbass the good reputation? \\Per
Derek Tearne
2011-12-05 07:28:57 UTC
Post by Per@
I read about the Microbass practice amp and bought one without trying,
but: I am diappointed, the thing is is OK, but pretty average. Mine
has a 8" speaker - has there ever been a 10" version that gave the
Microbass the good reputation?
What is it about the Peavey Microbass that is dissapointing? And what,
exactly where you expecting from a 20watt amplifier?

The microbass got it's reputation many years ago when anything that
small sounded like wet toilet paper. When amplifiers were really costly
items, and small always equalled bad sounding, the Peavey microbass was
pretty much the only small practice amplifier worth having.

Of course now they are made in China and, a little googling reveals, the
new ones sound like wet toilet paper.

--- Derek
--
Derek Tearne - ***@url.co.nz
Vitamin S: improvisation from New Zealand http://www.vitamin-s.co.nz/
d'Groove: 12 piece party/covers band http://www.dGroove.co.nz/
Sam Wilson
2011-12-05 17:41:10 UTC
Post by Derek Tearne
Post by Per@
I read about the Microbass practice amp and bought one without trying,
but: I am diappointed, the thing is is OK, but pretty average. Mine
has a 8" speaker - has there ever been a 10" version that gave the
Microbass the good reputation?
What is it about the Peavey Microbass that is dissapointing? And what,
exactly where you expecting from a 20watt amplifier?
The microbass got it's reputation many years ago when anything that
small sounded like wet toilet paper. When amplifiers were really costly
items, and small always equalled bad sounding, the Peavey microbass was
pretty much the only small practice amplifier worth having.
I use a Microbass for practice and it's a thing of wonder. I guess it's
about 15 years old.
Post by Derek Tearne
Of course now they are made in China and, a little googling reveals, the
new ones sound like wet toilet paper.
Shame.

Sam
JimmyM
2011-12-05 17:49:04 UTC
Post by Derek Tearne
Post by Per@
I read about the Microbass practice amp and bought one without trying,
but: I am diappointed, the thing is is OK, but pretty average. Mine
has a 8" speaker - has there ever been a 10" version that gave the
Microbass the good reputation?
What is it about the Peavey Microbass that is dissapointing? And what,
exactly where you expecting from a 20watt amplifier?
The microbass got it's reputation many years ago when anything that
small sounded like wet toilet paper. When amplifiers were really costly
items, and small always equalled bad sounding, the Peavey microbass was
pretty much the only small practice amplifier worth having.
Of course now they are made in China and, a little googling reveals, the
new ones sound like wet toilet paper.
Ampeg BA108 is the little practice amp to get these days. Good
sounding little amp...I actually gig with it.
Steve Freides
2011-12-05 20:00:17 UTC
Post by JimmyM
Ampeg BA108 is the little practice amp to get these days. Good
sounding little amp...I actually gig with it.
On the video on YouTube, the BA-110 is pretty awesome sounding,
especially for a street price of $180.

-S-
JimmyM
2011-12-05 22:08:24 UTC
Post by Steve Freides
Post by JimmyM
Ampeg BA108 is the little practice amp to get these days. Good
sounding little amp...I actually gig with it.
On the video on YouTube, the BA-110 is pretty awesome sounding,
especially for a street price of $180.
Ya, the BA110 is a better amp for sure, but that BA108 is only $100
and has a lot of low end for an 8" cab.
Rhonda Smith
2011-12-05 23:05:44 UTC
Post by JimmyM
Post by Steve Freides
Post by JimmyM
Ampeg BA108 is the little practice amp to get these days. Good
sounding little amp...I actually gig with it.
On the video on YouTube, the BA-110 is pretty awesome sounding,
especially for a street price of $180.
Ya, the BA110 is a better amp for sure, but that BA108 is only $100
and has a lot of low end for an 8" cab.
RADIO SHACK MINIMUS 7's Buy four!
http://www.angelfire.com/vt/audio/minimus.html with its STA 2500
companion amp...
http://vintagereceiver.net/vintage-realistic-sta-2500-stereo-receiver-original-box

Best BASS sound ever!

Full range, with spooky options!

Mike it and Howl at the moon!
( I suggest a telefunken U-47 at close range)
Derek Tearne
2011-12-05 20:13:09 UTC
Post by JimmyM
Ampeg BA108 is the little practice amp to get these days. Good
sounding little amp...I actually gig with it.
They have a micro VR in the rock shop. It is incredibly cute.

Also several basses and other gear at half price, liberated from the
Christchurch store, with small dings and scratches.

Which is pretty sad.

--- Derek
JimmyM
Ya? Is Christchurch still pretty beaten up?
Derek Tearne
2011-12-05 22:52:12 UTC
Post by JimmyM
Post by Derek Tearne
Post by JimmyM
Ampeg BA108 is the little practice amp to get these days. Good
sounding little amp...I actually gig with it.
They have a micro VR in the rock shop. It is incredibly cute.
Also several basses and other gear at half price, liberated from the
Christchurch store, with small dings and scratches.
Which is pretty sad.
Ya? Is Christchurch still pretty beaten up?
There is an area including most of the central business district, called
'the red zone'. They've only just started allowing the public inside
quite recently, and then under fairly strict conditions. Up until now
they've been checking, then demolishing or making safe, so the CBD is
now looking worse probably than after the quake. Not much rebuilding
has started yet.

There have been businesses, like the Rock Shop, who had stock tied up in
their buildings inside the 'red zone' since February. For Christchurch
based businesses that has been a major problem. Some people snuck in
under cover of darkness to try and liberate essential stock and tools
(there's the story of the hair dresser, who thought black hoodie and
balaclava was appropriate clothing for this kind of exercise, it took a
while for him to persuade the nice army folks that he really was the
business owner).

Some bits of Christchurch are doing OK, but others are still pretty
badly damaged, and a lot of people are really only just finding out if
their homes can be rebuilt, or are going to be demolished, and if the
latter what they can expect from insurance/government payouts.

--- Derek
JimmyM
2011-12-07 03:22:26 UTC
Post by Derek Tearne
Post by JimmyM
Post by Derek Tearne
Post by JimmyM
[...]
Wow, that really sucks. It's been about 10 months now. You'd think
they could have speeded up that process some, eh? What a shame...I
really loved Christchurch when I was there.
Derek Tearne
2011-12-07 03:44:24 UTC
Post by JimmyM
Wow, that really sucks. It's been about 10 months now. You'd think
they could have speeded up that process some, eh? What a shame...I
really loved Christchurch when I was there.
It's one of those strange things. The impression one gets from the way
natural disasters are reported are that, once the earthquake has
happened, everyone gets back to normal really quickly.

Think about New Orleans and Hurricance Katrina, how long has it taken to
get that city back to close to normal? (we're watching Treme on TV at
the moment...)

We just don't have enough building inspectors/experts etc. to decide
whether buildings are repairable or should be demolished etc. Also,
there are entire suburbs that have to be considered as a whole, even if
some of the buildings are still standing.

To make it worse, the continuing aftershocks meant that buildings could
be fine one week, and then no longer fine after the next aftershock, so
to a certain extent the inspection process has to be re-started after
every sizeable aftershock - and there are still several aftershocks per
day.

http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

And the insurance companies are dragging their heels, partly because,
well, they're insurance companies, and partly because they need to know
what the government is deciding about certain buildings eg. whether they
will need to pay for repairs, or whether the government is going to
decide the building must be demolished etc.

--- Derek
JimmyM
2011-12-08 02:16:20 UTC
Post by Derek Tearne
Post by JimmyM
[...]
Wow, when you put it like that, I get it. We just get hurricanes, and
when one comes, it doesn't usually have any fallout once it goes away.
Although we did get hit with 4 hurricanes in a month (3 of them
directly hit us). Oh well...hurricanes or earthquakes or
tornados...we're all doomed!
eadg
2011-12-06 00:55:57 UTC
Tearne)
Post by Derek Tearne
Post by Per@
[...]
As far as practice amps go (and I've had more than a few) my
main Markbass combo is smaller, lighter but with _way_ more
power (Ashdown Sweet 15 for eg.).
I like Ashdown, I used it exclusively for some 15 years or
so, but I so wish the Markbass amps had came about a lot
earlier in my playing career.
My own recommendation for all things home-practice wise is
the Roland Micro - two 5 watt stereo amps through 4x4"
drivers, various effects, drum machine (with pedal switching
inputs) and works off batteries if needed. It handles eub
well and laughs in the face of 5 string basses. With decent
foldback and a large PA I'd be more than happy to use it
live.
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/roland-bass-micro-cube-rx/18487
SR
*e#c
2011-12-05 18:39:31 UTC
Post by Per@
[...]
Can you please give me a link to what " wet toilet paper" sounds
like ???
Rhonda Smith
2011-12-05 18:44:21 UTC
Post by *e#c
Post by Derek Tearne
Post by Per@
[...]
Make yer own!

Grab a roll of Charmin, moisten it and finger/whap it...or use a pick.

Squeeze at yer own risk and keep Mr.Whipple out of the loop.
Per@
2011-12-07 08:51:12 UTC
Post by Derek Tearne
Of course now they are made in China and, a little googling reveals, the
new ones sound like wet toilet paper.
You have explained it all with that, thanks - my Behringer Bt-108
(same specs&size) is way better than the Peavey... I will find a
(Ampeg?) practice amp with a 10" - or maybe the Roland battery powered
4x4". "Decent sound" is more important than "Loud". I will check them
out. Thanks to all \\Per
m***@gmail.com
I have a chinese made 20 watt Microbass (all white writing w/ classic logo, not the red ones). I got it in 2002. It sounds very thick and full. I recorded with it many times (in tandem with an Orange guitar amp) and got great, full bassy tones. Now, if you're all saying that the USA ones are amazing, well, it's got to be mind blowing.
benj
Derek Tearne
2018-08-07 06:13:13 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Per@
I read about the Microbass practice amp and bought one without trying,
but: I am diappointed, the thing is is OK, but pretty average. Mine
has a 8" speaker - has there ever been a 10" version that gave the
Microbass the good reputation? \\Per
I have a chinese made 20 watt Microbass (all white writing w/ classic
logo, not the red ones). I got it in 2002. It sounds very thick and
full.
I feel almost certain the person who originally posted the question is
no longer looking for an answer...

--- Derek
m***@gmail.com
2018-08-07 08:37:11 UTC
Oh come on Derek. This is a reply in less than 7 years!
Derek Tearne
2018-08-13 07:01:08 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Derek Tearne
I feel almost certain the person who originally posted the question is
no longer looking for an answer...
Oh come on Derek. This is a reply in less than 7 years!
That's longer than the expected lifetime of one of those cheap peavey
microbass amps!

--- Derek
m***@gmail.com
:-)
Sam Wilson
2018-08-13 17:05:51 UTC
Post by Derek Tearne
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Derek Tearne
I feel almost certain the person who originally posted the question is
no longer looking for an answer...
Oh come on Derek. This is a reply in less than 7 years!
That's longer than the expected lifetime of one of those cheap peavey
microbass amps!
So the one I've been using for rehearsals for the last umm... 20 years
must be in danger of imploding imminently. Still sounds nice, though.

Sam
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
Derek Tearne
2018-08-19 03:41:57 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Derek Tearne
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Derek Tearne
I feel almost certain the person who originally posted the question is
no longer looking for an answer...
Oh come on Derek. This is a reply in less than 7 years!
That's longer than the expected lifetime of one of those cheap peavey
microbass amps!
So the one I've been using for rehearsals for the last umm... 20 years
must be in danger of imploding imminently. Still sounds nice, though.
Your Peavey is from the era when they made gear that was so reliable I
used to wonder if, post the nuclear apocalypse, all that would remain of
our society was peavey amps. Still functional, just waiting for
electricity to be reinvented.

What I discovered as a result of this thread though, is apparently,
sometime around 10 years ago, they redesigned the peavey microbass and
started manufacturing them somewhere in asia. At which point quality and
tone suffered greatly.

So, there are a whole lot of posts and questions on talkbass etc. from
around this time which are essentially like the one we're responding
too.

"Hey, everyone told me this was a great amp, but it sounds like a wet
paper bag and bits are falling off already".

So, I think yours is safe for a few more decades. The same is probably
not true for a new one.

--- Derek
Les Cargill