Beware Bill Zolla Guitars
r***@gmail.com
2014-04-02 00:28:58 UTC
On Thursday, October 29, 1998 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, Carolyn Murray McCollum wrote:

Carolyn, what you are is a nightmare customer for businessmen making quality. I know Billy PERSONALLY and not only is he an exemplary human being overcoming life's hardest struggles, He makes some of the finest quality instrument you'd ever be capable of touching. Another disgusting matter is that you made this post however when all was said an done and you got your instrument you never came back and posted on how rude you were. Anyway, the fact that this is one of the top posts when searching Mr Zolla's name is disgusting and you should be ashamed of yourself as a human being.

Matthew Riot
www.riotseeds.nl
RichL
2014-04-02 01:28:37 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Carolyn, what you are is a nightmare customer for businessmen making
quality. I know Billy PERSONALLY and not only is he an exemplary human
being overcoming life's hardest struggles, He makes some of the finest
quality instrument you'd ever be capable of touching. Another disgusting
matter is that you made this post however when all was said an done and
you got your instrument you never came back and posted on how rude you
were. Anyway, the fact that this is one of the top posts when searching
Mr Zolla's name is disgusting and you should be ashamed of yourself as a
human being.
<sigh>

Another Google grouper with no concept of time. This might have been worth
writing in, say, 1998? Just a guess...
Derek Tearne
2014-04-02 02:17:03 UTC
Post by RichL
<sigh>
Another Google grouper with no concept of time. This might have been worth
writing in, say, 1998? Just a guess...
I fear he has been consuming too much of his own product...

--- Derek
--
Derek Tearne - ***@url.co.nz
Vitamin S: improvisation from New Zealand http://www.vitamin-s.co.nz/
d'Groove: 12 piece party/covers band http://www.dGroove.co.nz/
c***@gmail.com
2016-03-06 07:06:49 UTC
Wow,

I know Bill personally also, and he does make one of the best (custom) guitars in the world!

Ron C.
www.ChildressGuitars.com
d***@gmail.com
2017-03-26 01:51:10 UTC
Sadly, I feel compelled to express my discontent with Zolla guitars.
Around August 10th I ordered a custom guitar from Bill Zolla prepaid.
It
is now October 29th and I have not yet seen my guitar or a refund. I
realize that custom orders can take a while but the situation now
is ridiculous.
I ordered a rather stripped down guitar, a steinberger paddle design
for the body, and a headless neck. The bridge was to be a headless
system ordered through allparts. The headless system was specked for
a 1 5/8" nut and I had asked if it might be possible to bend the spacing
out a bit and fit the system on a 1 3/4" neck. So after a couple of
weeks I called to see how the nut fitting had gone and if any kind
of compromise would have to be made.
He said that it should be fine and that the guitar should go out within
a week. I was to hear this same line every Mon. when I called for the
next three weeks. It accompanied things like, I had a friend die this
week, this week was really busy etc. Then he told me he had lost my
piece in the shop somewhere and would have to get back with me. Then
again that it should ship in a couple of days. Then again that he
couldn't find it. Finally he told me he had my order confused with
a headless bass order and he had everything but the bridge and the body.
This meant that he had made the neck. The other parts were screws a pot
and a humbucker that he should have had in a drawer in the shop
somewhere.
So I asked him if I could just get a refund, because I was getting
nervous.
He said ok begrudgingly, then I offered to take the neck since it was
supposedly together in the shop and a partial refund on the rest. Again
it was to go out in a couple of days. I called a week later, his
shipping
guy was out and he didn't know where my account was at. He said the
refund
hadn't gone through the credit bureau because he would rather send a
check
with the neck than do it electronically. I said fine, have it to me in
10
days or this story goes on the usenet and to the better business
bureau. I
called once and talked to him after that, his shipping guy was out again
think, I emailed him to remind him and on Mon. this week left a message
on his voice mail reminding him that tues would be the last day to send
me the stuff second day air and get it to me on time.
Every time I called the shop, I talked to Bill himself and he was always
very courteous and apologetic. But I have been screwed before by the
nice and apologetic. I have given him ample warning and time and
patience
and I just don't want anyone else out there to go through what I did.
I don't know if he is headed for chpt. 11 and can't pay the bills or
if his staff walked out on him and he is just way behind what he can
deliver or what. But I would warn anyone who is thinking of doing
business with him to order COD. Feel free to email me to see how
things wind up if you are curious. But I don't know what the better
business bureau will do for me in arbitration since Bill and I both
seem to agree I need my money back.
regrettably,
Isaac Davenport
I bought a body and neck from Zolla Guitars in San Diego. Pleased with the purchase as I was I saved enough to purchase 3 more bodies and 3 more necks. In order to save a few bucks I obtained a merchantile license to get an A discount. I was told that after I give him a deposit he would get to work. Well he lied about the continuance of any work and strung me along for nearly a year. First it was a wildfire and he needed to evacuate, then he had to change buildings. It was one excuse after another. Finally he shipped me pieces that were scuffed, had scratches in the finish and even though his site advertises a 9/16" hole for mounting tuners the necks he sent me were barely 13mm. I sent everything back which cost me plenty to overnight and that
#@%&$@@5^ hasn't refunded my money yet. He is disrespectful of his friends, he used McP's visa machine to charge my credit card because he didn't have a visa account of his own, if I had pressed the issue with visa they could've screwed Mr. Mc Parlec and his business for allowing someone to defraud someone in interstate commerce.
If you live in the San Diego area or see his ads published in periodicals don't give this drunken lush a chance.
I thought I'd post this as a warning
d***@gmail.com
2019-02-15 17:32:12 UTC
m***@gmail.com
2019-02-19 17:00:59 UTC
Over 20 years on, what on earth is the point of resurrecting this thread?
t***@gmail.com
2019-02-21 09:26:13 UTC
Over 20 years on, what on earth is the point of resurrecting this thread?

Oh why not. Lol. Somebody did a search this subject popped up so they posted, I’d guess. Besides. It was something to do.

Over on Talkbass there’s that last no going thread about Huff bass warnings (15 yr wait now) Pratt basses are in question. There’s a few more botique builders who aren’t delivering goods.

The more I read about stuff like this the more I appreciate playing off the hook squires and Ibanez. They work, they’re cheap and readily available....
p***@gmail.com
2020-04-04 06:47:50 UTC
And now it's April, 2020 and I happened onto this thread because I just discovered I have a Zolla bass. I wanted to know more so I googled. I lucked out and picked this fretless PB bass up at a pawn shop in North Austin a couple or three months ago. It has a Chandler neck and a Sadowsky jazz bridge pickup. Anyway, I just took off the neck to do a bit of work and discovered the Zolla stamp in the neck pocket with a date stamp of June 11,1988. It's a beautiful P style body that's mahogany with a flamed koa cap
p***@gmail.com
2020-04-04 06:55:14 UTC
... The cutaways have a unique chamfered carve and there is a strat type of jack inset carved right into the top. I've gotta get this thing finished up so I can play it! It already sounded great but needed new pots and a slight neck shim. It's a real beauty!
p***@gmail.com
2020-04-04 07:03:21 UTC
And now it's April, 2020 and I happened onto this thread because I just discovered I have a Zolla bass. I wanted to know more so I googled. I lucked out and picked this fretless PJ bass up at a pawn shop in North Austin a couple or three months ago. It has a Chandler neck and a Sadowsky jazz bridge pickup. Anyway, I just took off the neck to do a bit of work and discovered the Zolla stamp in the neck pocket with a date stamp of June 11,1988. It's a beautiful P style body that's mahogany with a flamed koa cap. It has unique chamfering in the cutaways and an inset for the jack like a strat but carved nicely right into the top. I replaced the pots and cap and rewired it as someone had messed that up. As soon as I add a slight shim and the new jack that I had to figure out, I can put it back together and play it again!
t***@gmail.com
2020-05-04 01:54:24 UTC
Excellent,man. Pawnshop prizes are or at least can be cool.

t***@gmail.com
BTW and FWIW, Bill Zolla died from cancer this past February.
t***@gmail.com
2020-05-04 02:56:20 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
OOPS! I was off with the date of his passing.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sandiegouniontribune/obituary.aspx?n=william-john-zolla&pid=195005129