Music store rant: Part XXVIII in a series
John Shaughnessy
2005-01-07 09:18:52 UTC
(This is kind of long, but hey - y'all read Brian's long posts)

So there's finally a full line music store within a 10 min. drive of my
house. It's a local chain that is owned by the Brooke Mays conglomerate.

I go in there today to poke around, and to put up a teaching flyer on their
board (I already know they don't do lessons). I'm dressed "business casual",
and I've taken all my medications. And not to blow my own horn, but I'm sort
of known on the local music scene.

There's two salespeople in there, both are at least in their early 30's.
Never seen either one before.

I wait at the counter about 3 min. while both of them try to find the organ
sound on a keyboard they're trying to sell to a Church Lady. Finally, the
girl comes over to help.

I ask her if I can put my teaching flyer up. At first, she says "Sure, no
problem"; but as I turn to walk over to the board,she grabs the flyer and
stammers "Um, uh, I guess we'll put it up for you", and she puts it behind
the counter. Apparently there is some sort of manger approval thing going
on. Or she thought she saw a dirty word on the flyer. Or not. Whatever.

Here's where it gets weird:

So I poke around for a few minutes, and eventually grab a "$1.99 special"
pair of drumsticks for my new drumset (more on that in another thread).

I go up the counter, and the guy is there this time. He gives me the
standard BS ("anyone help you today?" Yeah, ME!), then asks for my phone
number. I casually tell him what I tell every merchant, and what I've told
other people in that store before "No, I'd rather not give it out"

I swear to God, he looked at me like I just gouged a hole in the top of the
Yamaha grand piano! It was a look of complete horror and disgust - as if NO
ONE had ever refused to give him their phone number before.

So he tries the old trick: "Well if you're paying with a debit card, I have
to have your number". Having worked retail for years and years, I KNOW
that's BS. Now he's pissing me off. I politely say "Look man, I already get
too many catalogs and too much spam. Anyway this is a 2 DOLLAR item that I
don't even have to sign for. You don't need my phone number".

He says, all disgusted again "I need to go in the back and talk to my
manager" and he hustles off to the back of the store. I'm ready to walk out
and never come back at this point, but I'm interested to see where this is
going.

After a FULL 5 min.of keeping me waiting (with occasional dirty looks from
the chick), the guy comes back out WITH the manager! The manager proceeds to
hover around me as the guy tries to complete the transaction. Now I'm ready
to bust out laughing. I jokingly tell the guy "Dude, I used to work a lot of
retail myself. Why don't you just put a dummy phone number in there and be
done with it?"

The guy says, in a gravely serious voice: "I know. I'm gonna have to now."
Then he has the balls/stupidity to say to me "You know, I've had a lot of
people steal stuff outta here. They don't give a phone number, and then we
can't track them down."

OK - so you're implying that I'm a thief (reinforced by the hovering
manager), and showing your loss prevention cluelessnes in one fell swoop?
Nice job.

Next he asks to see my drivers license. Check the name and picture against
my card? Fine, that's reasonable. Then he wants me to take it out of my
wallet. Um...OK.

While he's checking, I make the mistake of looking away for like 30 sec. I
look back and he's GONE! Another 5 min. pass. Now I'm really pissed, but I
can't leave because he's got my license, And I don't even know where he
went.

Eventually, he comes out with my ID, PLUS a photocopy of it! WTF do they
need that for? So I said "So what do you guys need if I buy something
expensive? A blood test?". He just scowled.

As if all that were,'t enough, I had to wait for him and the slow-ass POS
terminal to actually process the transaction.

Remember that all this was for a 2 DOLLAR pair of cheapo drumsticks. Total
time of sale, about 15 min. So basically, he lost the company money on that
sale by wasting everyone's time. Good.

Obviously, I won't be shopping there again.

I have no grand statement or question to tie it all together. It was
just...weird. Or is it just me?

PS: I SWEAR this is not some wacko PD thing - Outside of a few sundries,
I've never had any dealings with them. I've never dealt with these
salespeople either. I was polite and restrained through the whole thing - I
even resisted my impulse to dive over the counter and take my photocopy.

What the hell gives?
--
Learning funk bass? visit www.js3jazz.com/store.htm

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion
and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
- Mark Twain
ChrisK.
2005-01-07 11:28:34 UTC
You should have kept that 2 dollar bill for such an occasion...

I would be pissed of too if something like that happened to me...

We know they just did it to piss you off, I would probably have jumped
over the counter for the photocopy, but then again I don't have a name
in the local scene to protect.

It's probably better that you let go, just don't buy there anymore, or
just go there to annoy them when you are bored.

My wife loves when she is shopping for work clothes or something else
dressed casual and people don't give her attention, she usually has to
leave an address because the clothes need to be adjusted, it's
incredible how people change their attitude once she put her business
card on the table. "Do you want some coffee? Please sit down while we
write the bill, we also got some new purses in last week, would you like
to see them?"

I hate this kind of sales people, they are there to serve me, and well,
if they can't even do this simple job...
--
Chris

"I wish I had a Kryptonite cross, because then you could keep both
Dracula AND Superman away"
Jack Handey
Javier Gonzalez
2005-01-07 12:53:24 UTC
Post by John Shaughnessy
(This is kind of long, but hey - y'all read Brian's long posts)
What the hell gives?
Unbelievable.

But I do have one question: Why didn't you leave the drumsticks and
get the hell out of there? Give me the thieving line, well, forget
about my money.

(and wasn't your phone number on the flyer? ;)
--
Javier Gonzalez Nicolini
Ingeniero Civil en Computacion - Universidad de Chile
John Shaughnessy
2005-01-07 17:11:07 UTC
Post by Javier Gonzalez
(and wasn't your phone number on the flyer? ;)
Yup. I wanted to see how long it would take for him to put 2 and 2 together.

I have no problem giving my phone # out for business purposes. I just don't
want it used to put me on a mailing list to send me crappy catalogs I won't
read. It's not a big deal. What is weird is that they made it a BIG deal.

Boom
2005-01-07 13:00:37 UTC
I'd have

I'd have let the transaction go through, then told them that I've
decided I'd rather use popsicle sticks to play my drums than put up
with this crap and demand a refund. And these mom and pop stores
wonder why people are turning to the big chains to buy stuff.

What the hell gives?
CraigS
2005-01-09 01:59:15 UTC
Post by Boom
I'd have
I'd have let the transaction go through, then told them that I've
decided I'd rather use popsicle sticks to play my drums than put up
with this crap and demand a refund. And these mom and pop stores
wonder why people are turning to the big chains to buy stuff.
I thought "conglomerate" implied that this was a "big chain".
Sounds like G.C. or S.A. or .... to me.
Boom
John said "local chain," so that means glorified mom and pop stores.
Brian Running
2005-01-10 15:03:13 UTC
Post by Boom
And these mom and pop stores
wonder why people are turning to the big chains to buy stuff.
Are you referring to Brook Mays as a "mom and pop" store? Boom, you gotta
get out more often!
Boom
Never heard of them...quite possibly since I don't live in NC.
Charlie S.
2005-01-10 21:47:34 UTC
Post by Brian Running
Post by Boom
And these mom and pop stores
wonder why people are turning to the big chains to buy stuff.
Are you referring to Brook Mays as a "mom and pop" store? Boom, you gotta
get out more often!
Never heard of them...quite possibly since I don't live in NC.
I don't either, but Brook Mays is BIG in Texas! I saw them first
around 1970 in Houston, but I know they have stores in Austin, as
well.

Their website indicates stores in TX, LA, OK, KS, MO, NC, SC, and PA.

Check out www.brookmays.com/stores/

LowEndLarry
2005-01-07 13:22:41 UTC
That kind of behavoir is an unfortunate sign of the times and I've seen
it too. I refuse to give my phone number 99% of the time in that
situation and get various reactions.

If this is the place I'm thinking of it is the relatively new location
around the corner from an IHOP. They sound like they need some special
attention ;). I think I'll drop by and see them occasionally.

Larry
Post by John Shaughnessy
I've never had any dealings with them. I've never dealt with these
salespeople either. I was polite and restrained through the whole thing - I
even resisted my impulse to dive over the counter and take my
photocopy.
Post by John Shaughnessy
What the hell gives?
- Mark Twain
John Shaughnessy
2005-01-07 17:11:52 UTC
That's the one. Tell them I said hi ; )
--

Post by John Shaughnessy
even resisted my impulse to dive over the counter and take my
photocopy.
Post by John Shaughnessy
What the hell gives?
- Mark Twain
Yooper
2005-01-07 14:01:40 UTC
Post by John Shaughnessy
(This is kind of long, but hey - y'all read Brian's long posts)
Snip<
What the hell gives?
When I get treated like that, I remind them of all the people I'll meet
during the day and the fine feedback I'll be sure to pass on to said people.
Tell one person something and over time, it becomes the norm. Let all your
friends know too.
John S. Shinal
2005-01-07 14:30:34 UTC
Post by John Shaughnessy
What the hell gives?
In NC it is against the law to require a photocopy of your
driver's license for a credit card transaction.
Todd H.
2005-01-07 15:13:32 UTC
Post by John Shaughnessy
(This is kind of long, but hey - y'all read Brian's long posts)
Well, not all of us read all of them. :-)
Post by John Shaughnessy
Eventually, he comes out with my ID, PLUS a photocopy of it! WTF do they
need that for? So I said "So what do you guys need if I buy something
expensive? A blood test?". He just scowled.
Holy shit.
Post by John Shaughnessy
I have no grand statement or question to tie it all together. It was
just...weird. Or is it just me?
No, that's ridiculous. I'd call the credit card company to see if
your cardmember rights were violated. One of the benefits of the
debit card is supposedly no needing to provide ID, and that this clown
has a copy of your identification for possible use in identity theft
(how do they secure that information in-store--could they be opening
themselves up to liability by failing to secure your information?).
I'm also sure the Brook Mayes corporate folks would be interested in
some yahoo following a local policy much to the detriment to the big
picture. I mean, to piss off an adult who is not only a pro musician,
but music instructor for a lot of potential customers in that area all
over a $1.99 friggin item... is really just stupid business.

And I imagine someone at Brook Mayes would be very sympathetic to your
story. It'd be interesting to see what happens.

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."
John Shaughnessy

Glenn Dowdy
2005-01-07 15:47:20 UTC
Post by John Shaughnessy
OK - so you're implying that I'm a thief (reinforced by the hovering
manager), and showing your loss prevention cluelessnes in one fell swoop?
Nice job.
I have no grand statement or question to tie it all together. It was
just...weird. Or is it just me?
What the hell gives?
Well, they obviously thought you were a real drummer. ;)

Glenn D.
Brian Running
2005-01-07 15:44:06 UTC
Post by John Shaughnessy
(This is kind of long, but hey - y'all read Brian's long posts)
Are you kidding? I never even read that crap.
Post by John Shaughnessy
I go up the counter, and the guy is there this time. He gives me the
standard BS ("anyone help you today?" Yeah, ME!), then asks for my phone
number. I casually tell him what I tell every merchant, and what I've told
other people in that store before "No, I'd rather not give it out"
I swear to God, he looked at me like I just gouged a hole in the top of the
Yamaha grand piano! It was a look of complete horror and disgust - as if NO
ONE had ever refused to give him their phone number before.
Isn't that funny? More and more places ask for it, and I always refuse,
too. Some clerks don't care, you can see they just punch in random numbers
to satisfy the computer, and others just don't have any idea what to do.
They panic, or give you a dirty look, or even get a little insulting. Would
they sacrifice your purchase just for the sake of getting a telephone
number? What will they do with it anyway?

Speaking of Brook Mays, they recently got sued in a fairly high-profile
defamation suit by First Act, the outfit that's flooding the market with
cheap, low-quality Chinese-made instruments -- heard about that?
h***@webtv.net
2005-01-07 20:06:47 UTC
Oooo we need a day for all AGB'ers & their freinds in your area to go in
there & buy a pick with a debit card & refuse to give their phone
numbers. Send these bozos into vapor lock.
FRETBUZZ
2005-01-08 17:10:40 UTC
Post by h***@webtv.net
Oooo we need a day for all AGB'ers & their freinds in your area to go in
there & buy a pick with a debit card
But NOTHING over the value of ....for the sake of argument.....$2 (two US
dollars, in case the symbol didn't show up from my post)

& refuse to give their phone
gorgon
2005-01-07 16:06:25 UTC
Post by John Shaughnessy
[...]
John, don't you know, good thieves always leave their phone number so
they can be easily tracked down! I can imagine the conversation:

"Hello, is this Mr. Ripov?" "It is?" "Good, glad we caught you -
just wanted you to know you left a couple of effects pedals, several
SM58's and mic cables and a pack of strings that I'm sure you meant to
steal, too. Shall I have someone send them right over?"

Sounds like you need to put on those long rubber boots before stepping
in that place again - the BS is awfully deep.

gorgon
Ron
2005-01-07 17:10:35 UTC
John:

Make sure you know the return policy on the drum sticks!
--
Ron

"I have to go practice now!"

To E-mail, replace the # with the word.
---- snippage ----

- Mark Twain
mh
2005-01-07 17:11:11 UTC
Post by John Shaughnessy
(This is kind of long, but hey - y'all read Brian's long posts)
So there's finally a full line music store within a 10 min. drive of my
house. It's a local chain that is owned by the Brooke Mays conglomerate.
"Brook Mays"

That says it all. I've *never* like their stores, even as a wide-eyed
kid.

(But as Javier pointed out, your phone number was on the flyer, no?)
John Shaughnessy
2005-01-07 21:42:31 UTC
...And my business cards. Once again, I have no problem giving out my phone
number to any potential customer who asks. I have a big problem giving it
out so a company track my purchase history, inundate my mailbox with more
catalogs I won't read, and sell it to other companies for profit. Plus, I
just don't have to.

Plus, I was waiting to see if he would make the connection. Didn't happen.

FRETBUZZ
2005-01-08 17:14:36 UTC
Post by John Shaughnessy
...And my business cards. Once again, I have no problem giving out my phone
number to any potential customer who asks. I have a big problem giving it
out so a company track my purchase history, inundate my mailbox with more
catalogs I won't read, and sell it to other companies for profit.
Is there an equivalent of our "Mailing Preference Service" or "Telephone
Preference Service" over there in the US? This is an organisation
(Government financed, I think) that stops unwanted 'snail' mail and
telesales calls reaching you - once you've registered of course - unless
it's from organisations you want to be contacted by

Plus, I
John Shaughnessy
2005-01-10 08:44:07 UTC
There is. The CATCH is if you VOLUNTARILY give out information, then you
can be spammed at will by that company and its subsidiaries.

Apparently there's not litmus test for how much coercion a salesman can use
before the disclosure is not "voluntary".

JByers1044
2005-01-07 23:09:17 UTC
I swear, we are becoming a society where we all are going to have bar-codes on
our arms soon. Radio Shack wants your family history for for a 89cent fuse.
Aloha, Jerry
www.voodoosuns.com
The Amazing Seismo
2005-01-08 02:01:34 UTC
Post by JByers1044
I swear, we are becoming a society where we all are going to have bar-codes on
our arms soon. Radio Shack wants your family history for for a 89cent fuse.
Aloha, Jerry
www.voodoosuns.com
And I give them one whenever I go there. It just isn't MY family history.
<G>

Ed Cregger
John S. Shinal
2005-01-10 16:20:00 UTC
Post by The Amazing Seismo
And I give them one whenever I go there. It just isn't MY family history.
Yep. "Cash. Justin Cash."

Occasionally, someone will decode the pun.
Nil
2005-01-08 16:20:37 UTC
Post by JByers1044
I swear, we are becoming a society where we all are going to have
bar-codes on our arms soon. Radio Shack wants your family history
for for a 89cent fuse.
Radio Shack has always asked for a phone number, and up until maybe 10
years ago, they would apply a lot of pressure to get it. They must have
had a policy change after that, because even when they ask for it now,
they don't bat an eye when they don't get it. And they don't even ask
for it on small-dollar purchases.

A lot of stores want a zip code. I'll give them that, but nothing more.
Charlie S.
2005-01-08 16:45:47 UTC
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:20:37 -0600, Nil
Post by Nil
Post by JByers1044
I swear, we are becoming a society where we all are going to have
bar-codes on our arms soon. Radio Shack wants your family history
for for a 89cent fuse.
Radio Shack has always asked for a phone number, and up until maybe 10
years ago, they would apply a lot of pressure to get it. They must have
had a policy change after that, because even when they ask for it now,
they don't bat an eye when they don't get it. And they don't even ask
for it on small-dollar purchases.
A lot of stores want a zip code. I'll give them that, but nothing more.
I just bought a dvd player (low budget - 39.99) from RatShack
yesterday and they never even asked. Dunno if it's new policy or the
sales peeps could sense from my attitude that I wouldn't give it. ?
Mark Marsh
2005-01-09 11:14:04 UTC
Jerry-
I've gotten "the look" from many a RadShack employee when I answered their
request for phone/address with, "I don't want another catalog". For a while
they were kinda insistant, but in the last couple of years I don't even get
asked anymore. Kinda refreshing...
-Mark
www.voodoosuns.com
Soren Lindholt
2005-01-07 23:30:22 UTC
Just do like Ido when visiting in Canada...
"May I have your postal code?": "yep, 9000". Puzzled look on clerks face...
Me: Im not from here, im visting etc or some other weird excuse... Once in a
motorcycle shop they wanted my adress and all as well, I told them "I live
in Europe, you dont need it" and he took a long time figuring out what to do
with the computer... silly shit it is...

What happens if you tell them you dont have a phone... buy a 5000 dollar
set, and tell them you phone was closed because you didnt pay the bill
;-))))

Soren
- Mark Twain
S&y
- Mark Twain
John Shaughnessy
2005-01-08 21:41:25 UTC
Debit card, actually. Standard operating procedure in the nation's second
largest financial center.

Few people here use cash for any purchase amount, and the stores know that.
That's what makes his behavior even more bizarre.
--
Learning funk bass? visit www.js3jazz.com/store.htm

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion
and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
- Mark Twain
Post by S&y
cause of the service??
Post by John Shaughnessy
Yamaha grand piano! It was a look of complete horror and disgust - as
if
Post by S&y
NO
Post by John Shaughnessy
to bust out laughing. I jokingly tell the guy "Dude, I used to work a
lot
Post by S&y
of
- Mark Twain
Boom
2005-01-09 07:49:24 UTC
Post by S&y
cause of the service??
As a person who regularly uses his debit card for $2 purchases, my
opinion is fuck 'em. I don't like to carry money so now I only shop
at places that accept debit and credit cards. And if they don't want
my $2 sale because it costs 3 or 4c, fuck 'em again.
- Mark Twain
FRETBUZZ
2005-01-08 17:04:09 UTC
Post by John Shaughnessy
(This is kind of long, but hey - y'all read Brian's long posts)
So there's finally a full line music store within a 10 min. drive of my
house. It's a local chain that is owned by the Brooke Mays conglomerate.
Don't know that name, but here in the UK there are 'chain' stores that deal
with musical items
Post by John Shaughnessy
[...]
Is that standard in the US?? over here, if your signature on the receipt
matches the card and you can show some valid ID when asked, they have no
need of your 'phone number.

Post by John Shaughnessy
[...]
Indeed, WTF DO they need a photocopy of your driving licence for? Isn't it
illegal for them to make any kind of copy of that or ANY personal documents
without your authorisation (and I don't think handing them your wallet to
look at counts either)?

So I said "So what do you guys need if I buy something
Post by John Shaughnessy
expensive? A blood test?".
Any shoppie with a sense of humour would have replied "no, just a kidney" or
similar tension reducing line
Post by John Shaughnessy
He just scowled
As if all that were,'t enough, I had to wait for him and the slow-ass POS
terminal to actually process the transaction.
I did wonder what the POS part of EPOS stood for ;-) {and not what they
told me it meant on the computing course}.
Post by John Shaughnessy
Remember that all this was for a 2 DOLLAR pair of cheapo drumsticks. Total
time of sale, about 15 min. So basically, he lost the company money on that
sale by wasting everyone's time. Good.
Didn't you have a handfull of small change you could have laid on the geek
and REALLY make him suffer the wrath of his manager?

I do hope you demanded the photocopy of your driver's document and any other
copies of your personal papers they may have taken? In this day and age,
it's far too easy for things like that to be duplicated for less than honest
means.
- Mark Twain
Larry Shaw
- Mark Twain
e***@yahoo.com
2005-01-09 02:27:09 UTC
I would have let them go through the whole rigamarole, then refused to
sign the final sales slip, and walk out of the store without the
drumsticks after saying "thanks for your time."
DaleP2345
2005-01-09 19:31:15 UTC
My rant on databases and the salespeople asking for personal info:

Personal Info is a commodity. It's bought and sold and traded all the time.
It has value, as Radio Shack pioneered and proved to the retail world decades
ago.
I decided early on in this age of personal info, to give erroneous info,
especially phone numbers, whenever I judge it not being a need-to-know
situation.
It's proven so much easier and time-efficient than dealing with morons trained
to ask for it, and their various reactions when they don't get what they're
trained for. If I think I'll ever need to know it at a future date, I'll give
a memorized fake number.
Same with social security number. If the business has nothing to do with my
taxes or income or reporting, everyone gets a fake for their database.
I get almost no junk mail, and about four random phone solicitations per year
with a phone number I've had 15 years!
Calling 1-800-Dentist (from a remote phone) for example, to GET info, you need
to GIVE info on about ten items before they'll give you any referral. I simply
give all erroneous info except for a nearby zip code, and get what I want
efficiently.
When calling for an insurance quote, I give all BS info aside from model/age of
car, my age and nearby zip.

IRS, my banks, insurance, etc is where database consistencies will be found.
All else in the world is a complete and total mess in countless databases I'm
in, and that's just fine with me. Nothing's come back to bite me yet, and it's
proving a better way to live, when I witness others around me getting piles of
unwanted crap in the mailbox and lots of annoying calls, and certainly the
stories of sales lunkheads like in this thread. Sorry to veer of on the
tangent.
John Shaughnessy
2005-01-10 08:39:32 UTC
Good advice, actually. However, I can barely memorize my OWN phone number,
so I just tell them "no". Works about 99% of the time.

What REALLY pisses me off is that stores now threaten employees with
termination if the "capture rate" on accurate, discreet phone numbers is
below a certain percentage. Managers actually have monthly printouts by name
that they wave around at store meetings. Bullshit.

Of course, the associate is an even bigger moron for putting me through the
ringer. If he's afraid for his job., he should just do what I used to do -
keep a copy of the phone book or some other directory handy, and pick a
number at random. Instead, he practically accused me of being a thief.

It's not the number per se that pisses me off, it's the treatment. Suddenly,
I'M the asshole for not wanting to give out my personal info? When the FUCK
did this happen?