Weird overtones on the thicker strings
33Hertz
2003-09-18 10:52:36 UTC
Hiya

Can someone explain why, when playing past say, the 7th fret on the E or B strings, sometimes (especially on the B) the notes seems to get another overtone. I don't quite know how to explain this, but it really annoys me sometimes.
I've been wondering about his for some time now. I have 2 basses, a Mex Std J and a Ibanez BTB 6-string. I know these are not the best examples of basses in the world, but it doesn't only happen on mine but I've been and Pete Stevens' Wal factory a few times now and every time I pick up a 6-string he's got there I notice that the same happens on that also. That's a blinking WAL for heavens' sake! So it must have something to do with the strings being too heavy for the relative lenght at the problematic frets, or something...

Any ideas?

-jake
Let not the sands of time get in your lunch
Richard Smol
2003-09-18 11:36:23 UTC
Post by 33Hertz
Hiya
Can someone explain why, when playing past say, the 7th fret on the E or
B strings, sometimes (especially on the B) the notes seems to get
another overtone. I don't quite know how to explain this, but it really
annoys me sometimes.
There is nothing wrong with overtones... actually they give a bass
its characteristic sound. If you really don't like them, try using
flatwound or half-wound strings.

RS
MaHei
2003-09-18 15:22:25 UTC
Are you sure this has something to do with overtones? On all of my basses the notes on the B string go sharp, quite noticeably above the 9th fret. I think this has a lot to do with the type of strings that you use. I've had no luck with taper-wound strings, non-tapered strings seem to improve the situation somewhat and with GHS Brite Flats there was none of this business at all. But then I don't want flatwounds on my 6 string.

Does anyone know of any roundwounds that will eliminate this problem?

Mark
Neal Pollack
2003-09-18 15:40:44 UTC
Post by 33Hertz
[...]
I don't know what the answer is, but I have a similiar problem on my
Univox violin bass on the G string, third fret. Might be due to the fact
that I strung it up with some old, long scale flatwounds just to get it
setup after putting it together (got it as a project bass), but it's
just that one string at that one spot. Annoying harmonic overtones.
Getting ready to put some short scale round wounds on it to see if it
makes a difference.

Neal
--
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Neal Pollack PressPlay Computer Consultants

"A still tongue fills a wise head." --Blind Jim Brewer
miguelito
2003-09-18 18:51:19 UTC
Can someone explain why, when playing past say, the 7th fret on the E or =
B strings, sometimes (especially on the B) the notes seems to get =
another overtone.
Can't tell you why, but I suspect as you do that it has to do with the
nature of a conventional B string (materials, mass, flexibility, etc,
etc) superimposed on the nature of a conventional bass guitar (similar
list).

You might try a foam mute (oh, the horror) under the B or even under
all strings. I have an approx. 1cm wide foam strip, cut at an angle so
it tucks fairly firmly under the B but just barely touches the G, on my
Yamaha TRB5. It sits on the bridge plate just ahead of the saddles.
Surprisingly, it costs very little in terms of brightness, but I think
it makes a noticible improvement in terms of bringing out the
fundamentals on the B.

Also, did you read my posting titled "Pickup pan twistings"? See if you
can find a pickup mix that makes those harmonics sound rich and in
tune, rather than foul and wolfy.

I'd be interested in hearing what your findings are, 33, if you try
either of these suggestions. Like anybody, I enjoy being "right"; but
if it turns out I'm FOS, I like to know that, too, so I can shut up and

miguelito

Drop *AND DO25* to reply by mail
33Hertz
2003-09-19 08:13:02 UTC
Post by miguelito
it makes a noticible improvement in terms of bringing out
the
Post by miguelito
fundamentals on the B.
Thanks miguelito. I will try that over the weekend sometime.
What kind of foam rubber are you using? Firm or quite soft?
Post by miguelito
tune, rather than foul and wolfy.
I did read that thread
Post by miguelito
if it turns out I'm FOS, I like to know that, too, so I
can shut up and
Post by miguelito
lol, yeah i'll try the foam

thanks
-jake
--
Let not the sands of time get in your lunch